Studies have shown that not taking vacations is linked to health problems. One study found that men who were at high risk for heart disease but failed to take annual vacations were 32% more susceptible to dying from a heart attack.
Alternatively, taking vacations have been found to help us “recharge our batteries”; we sleep more and sleep better during vacation and continue to for a period of time after the vacation (potentially up to 5 weeks afterwards!). Our brain responses become quicker after vacations, ultimately making us more productive in our jobs. In a study conducted in 2010, 35% of Americans feel better about their job and are more productive after a vacation.
Other benefits of taking time away include:
- Vacations Promote Creativity
- Vacations Decrease Burnout
- Vacations Strengthen Bonds with Our Significant Other
- Vacations Improve Our Overall Well-Being (One study found that three days after vacation, the participants’ physical complaints decreased, their quality of sleep improved, and their overall mood improved as compared to before their vacation. These gains were still present weeks later for many of these participants, especially in those who experienced a more satisfying vacation.)
- Vacations Relieve Stress (No surprise here! Additionally, research shows that a satisfying vacation can lead to the experience of fewer stressful days up to five weeks later! How’s that for a return on an investment?)
Unfortunately, the reality is that about 25% of Americans don’t take any vacation at all. Some people just don’t take vacations often enough. While not everyone is in a situation to take a week-long vacation, there is no excuse to arrange a short getaway every once in a while. The Bacchus Inn Bed & Breakfast is a great choice for anyone looking for time away. Whether for an extended vacation or a quick getaway, The Bacchus Inn B&B will deliver a satisfying retreat to help you “recharge your battery”. Your job and your health depends on it!